Monday, February 16, 2015

Doggie First Aid: Preparation for Pup Owners

Image courtesy: Ready Nutrition


There is nothing more terrifying than dealing with a puppy emergency - trust me, I know.  Nobody wants to deal with a puppy emergency, but in the event that one does happen you will be comforted in knowing that you do have supplies readily available.  It's a great idea to prepare a first aid kit and keep it well stocked.

After my first true puppy emergency, I realized that I was not prepared for a worst case scenario to happen.  I went on searching the internet to find a list of things that dog owners should have to help with any type of first aid emergency.

Here’s a list of supplies you should have in your first aid kit, courtesy of Cesar Milan, along with my personal recommendations: 

Medical Records and Emergency Phone Numbers
It is important to have an updated medical record on hand in case of an emergency along with a list of nearby emergency or 24 hour vets.

Wound Spray
I recommend having Vetericyn on hand at all times if you are a pet owner.  Vetericyn is non-toxic and free of chemicals.  It helps with hot spots, rashes, cuts, and irritated skin.  Check out this website for more information!

Bandages
Bandages are useful for wrapping cuts or scrapes.  Make sure you get something like this so it doesn't stick to your dog’s fur. The bitterness of the bandage keeps pups from licking/removing the wrap! 

Eye Wash and Ear Wash
In the event that your pup gets something in their eyes or ears, make sure you have a reliable eye wash and ear wash to properly rinse the area.

Dog Cone
Dog cones have many uses and are not just for keeping a dog from getting at hot spots!  Cones can prevent dogs from scratching their face, itching hot spots, and is very helpful in protecting pups after they have surgeries (so they do not tear out stitches)!  All three of my dogs wore cones at one point to keep them from tearing stitches.

Muzzle
Muzzles have a negative association in the public eye but they have many different purposes.  Dog activists are looking to change the negative association with dog muzzles into a more positive, preventative association.  Dogs tend to return to “animal instinct” when wounded, in pain, or if they are unfamiliar with dogs.  Check out these fun muzzles! 

Hydrogen Peroxide
Peroxide has a plethora of uses and should definitely be in your puppy first aid kit!  This can be used in case of an emergency to induce vomiting.  If you cannot get to an emergency facility in time this option can be utilized to buy you extra time but it is not recommended as a replacement for emergency vet care.  


So what do you think?  Do you have your doggie first aid kit prepared?  Are you ready if an emergency were to take place? Comment about what's in your first aid kit.

11 comments:

  1. We have multiple "human" first aid kits in our house but not one for our four legged friends! This is a wonderful idea! We'll be getting one in our house very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! You can never be too prepared!

      Delete
  2. Those are really good ideas, especially because our pets tend to get hurt at the most unusual times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. You never know when they could get injured. I was completely unprepared for my first dog emergency and decided I would not let that happen again. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. I have always had a cat since I was younger, but my son has been asking for a dog recently. We found a lost dog that he thought he was going to be able to keep, so he was very upset when I returned the dog to her owner. Now I have been looking for a dog for him, so thank you for informing me about the doggie aid kit because I would have be unprepared in the event of an emergency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I hope you find a dog that will fit right into your family!

      Delete
  4. My dog is always getting into things. We go on adventures through the woods and stuff so he ends up with cuts on his paws and stuff. I think the worst was when he got sprayed by a skunk though. Any advice on how to get that smell out of his fur??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link that gives a few different ways - vinegar, vanilla extract, and hydrogen peroxide all have a few different solutions that work well!

      Delete
    2. http://www.yankeemagazine.com/article/resources/skunk-odor-removal#_

      Delete