Monday, January 26, 2015

Six Comfort and Safety Tips for Dogs During Winter


(From left to right: Tifa, Lulu, Zero)

There is no denying that winter is here!  As a proud pup owner, I never truly thought of how difficult the winter season could be when you have three, high-energy dogs who love to play and run.  If you’re like me and live in an area where the snow seems endless there are many things you should know!

Here are my six simple tips to help you keep your pups comfortable, active, and safe during the winter season.  My tips were inspired by an article found on PetMD.  For the full article and descriptions on pet safety tips check out the article here! 

1.  Snow Pups
Does your pet enjoy being outside during the winter seasons?  I know my dogs do!  I always make sure to monitor my dogs when they are outside on cold days.  If your dog is smaller make sure you keep a keen eye on them.  Also, wipe off any snow they may have on them when they come inside!

2.  Stay Bundled Up
If your pets enjoy being outside as much as my pups do, I highly recommend getting them a coat, sweater, or extra layer to keep them warm.  Would you be comfortable going outside without a coat?  No way!

3.  Burnin’ Off Some Steam
I noticed an extreme change in my dogs’ activity level during the winter season.  I try to encourage them to exercise and stay active by offering new toys, playing with the laser pointer (which they love), going on short walks, and even letting them chase me around the basement.  Don’t let your dog get the winter blues – be creative and keep them entertained!

4.  Chow Time
Just like other mammals, dogs also tend to “hibernate” and conserve energy during winter.  I had to adjust the food amount for my dogs because they were not eating a normal serving amount.  Pay close attention to your pets and make sure you adjust food servings accordingly to avoid having a real “husky” pup!

5.  Salty Paws
Salt can cause a lot of trauma to a pets paws.  I personally do not put any salt in my backyard and I make sure to take off my shoes when entering my house so that I do not bring any salt into my home.  Try putting boots on your dog to avoid sore paws or use a pet-friendly alternative to salt.  Check out more tips here!

6.  Neighborhood Watch

I can’t stress the importance of watching the neighborhood for pets left outside during the coldest of days.  If you see an animal outside for too long please do something!  If you have outdoor cats or strays around you try to offer a den so they have some type of refuge to stay warm in.  You may be their only hope in getting into a warm and cozy home!

9 comments:

  1. These are really helpful tips! My pup gets very depressed in the winter due to lack of activity. Thank goodness for the Novi dog park, it has been a great escape for her and gets her out of the house. She loves the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you take your dog to the park. Doggie depression is a serious matter and can really take a toll on your pet.

      Delete
  2. For someone considering getting a dog in the future, I really appreciated these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! My dog loves the snow but doesn't have much fur for protection. I'm glad it is starting to warm up so he can spend more time outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Winter can be so brutal and miserable when you have a dog. I know my pups are ready to run wild outside now that it is warming up.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for reading! Winter can be so brutal and miserable when you have a dog. I know my pups are ready to run wild outside now that it is warming up.

      Delete