Friday, January 30, 2015

Chocolate Toxicity: Hey! Where Did That Chocolate Cake Go?

Did you know that chocolate, especially dark chocolate and baker's chocolate, is extremely poisonous to dogs and can be fatal?  Any amount of chocolate can result in hyperactivity, tremors, high blood pressure, a rapid heart rate, seizures, respiratory failure, and cardiac arrest.  See Pet’s Web MD for the full article here! 

Chocolate toxicity is a very serious matter.  With Valentine's Day coming up, please make sure you take precautions in keeping your chocolates and sweets out of your pet's reach.

I learned how common chocolate toxicity is, especially during the holiday season.  My terrifying experience happened on Christmas Eve, 2013.

I had baked a three layer German Chocolate Cake for Christmas Eve at my parents’ house and was so proud of my cake!  It was homemade and the presentation was spot on.  I brought the cake over to my parents’ house but it turned out that everyone brought dessert so only a quarter of the cake was eaten.  I decided to take it home and would bring it in to work for the following days.

I anxiously walked into the house, excited to see my dogs, and set the chocolate cake down on the counter top.  The regular routine for when I come home is lots of hugs and play time with the dogs so we went on with our normal routine – not even thinking about the devilish chocolate cake.  


Image courtesy http://www.gooddogspot.net/

It wasn't until I ran to the bathroom - I was gone for a minute at most - and came back out into the kitchen when I saw it.  The entire serving plate was on the ground; the plastic wrap was neatly pulled back, and the entire chocolate cake was GONE.

My first reaction was instant panic!  My two little pups, who were maybe only seven months old at the time, had devoured the entirety of the cake while the older dog sat back and watched.  I could imagine him thinking, “I’m not getting in trouble for this!”

I immediately grabbed my laptop and looked up some quick information on dogs eating chocolate and become even more frantic.  Chocolate is poisonous for dogs and I knew that I had to get them to the emergency vet immediately or the results could be fatal.  I immediately crated my older pup, leashed the two little ones, and we drove off to the emergency vet. 

Arriving at the emergency vet was a huge relief.  They were extremely fast and kept me updated on the entire process.  They immediately induced vomiting on the two young pups.  After the long, excruciating process, they gave the pups charcoal to help prevent the absorption of any remaining toxins and lots of fluids to keep them hydrated.

It was very frightening to hear that my little pups could have died from one stupid mistake.  Needless to say, I won’t be leaving anything on the counter top ever again. 




8 comments:

  1. Wow! What a story. I can't believe the pups got the cake off of the counter. Good thing you got them to the vet quickly. I'm glad that they had no serious effects and that everything turned out ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to react quickly in situations regarding ingestion of toxic materials!

      Delete
    2. You have to react quickly in situations regarding ingestion of toxic materials!

      Delete
  2. Great info! Glad everything turned out OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is good to know. I have always heard that "human food" and some plants are especially toxic to dogs, but never gave a thought to chocolate. Glad your dogs are fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! There are so many things that are toxic for animals that we typically wouldn't think about.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the comment! There are so many things that are toxic for animals that we typically wouldn't think about.

      Delete
  4. Great post! I have seen this incident end unfortunately worse than in your case and exactly like yours. I'm not sure, but I believe it all depends on the dog. There a lot of dogs that get treated with human food to take medicine or just as a treat. Just have to be careful!

    ReplyDelete